Friday, November 12, 2010

Overdue Greenhouse Faucet Repair

This post isn't the informational post that I intend to do for my blog but I couldn't help but develop a story around my experience of the day. Today I finally got my husband to relent and fix my greenhouse faucet.


I had a greenhouse built 14 years ago so I could propagate plants that were more appropriate to the growing conditions I have here in the Great Basin than the plants available at the local retail nurseries or garden centers in the big box stores that have sprung up like weeds in the past couple of decades. The past couple of winters have paid a toll on the plumbing in this greenhouse and the faucet has been leaking and creating an enormous puddle. I've been after my husband to either let me hire a plumber or have one of his workers fix it. Since we farm and the work is never done, fixing the faucet has been on the "to do" list for over two years.

Finally the level to turn in the faucet "froze" up so I could turn it off (see picture below).


So finally my husband sent a worker to fix it. The first task was getting the water off to the greenhouse. This entailed finding the right valve to turn off. However, when we opened the box where the valves are located we could find them through all the murky water that had collected from the artificially high water table created by continuous flow of water from the leaky faucet (see picture below).


The next task to get all the hoses off the faucet. This will be no easy task since they are now so slimy it's hard to get grip on them to unscrew them from the faucet (see picture below).


After getting the hoses off it's time to dig up the faucet. Unfortunately the trees from the neighbors tree line are enjoying the leaky faucet too (see picture below).


The faucet still isn't fixed and it may take days to do it. The moral of this story is you may be able to save time is if you don't keep putting of that pesky little chore until next year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Slimy algae caused by water leaks! Leaky faucets are sometimes caused by a faulty valve. Repairing it won't be appropriate because it might loosen the thread. It would be smarter to replace it.
~ Gayle Manning ~